From Tchotchke to Functional

Tanya Ruffin for TanyaRuffin.com

I frequent the local dollar store and on a recent visit I saw badly painted excuse for a nativity.

From Tchotchke to Functional


Nativity:Tanya Ruffin for TanyaRuffin.com

So of course I had to grab it up to see what I could make of it. Using Amazing Mold Putty I made a mold.

Tanya Ruffin for TanyaRuffin.com


The original was more cone shaped and I knew the mold would give me a flat back. This was perfect because my plan was the glue two casts back to back!
Nativity:Tanya Ruffin for TanyaRuffin.com

After casting with Amazing Casting Resin, I painted both pieces with black acrylic paint and then went over them with silver Rub n Buff.

I then glued the lower half of the two pieces back to back with E6000 glue and placed a rubber band around the bottom to secure overnight.

Tanya Ruffin for TanyaRuffin.com

Tanya Ruffin for TanyaRuffin.com

Once it was dry you can slide a photo or ,in this case, a card into the slot.

Now it looks nothing like the original piece!

Tanya Ruffin for TanyaRuffin.com

What do you see when you look at tchotchkes?



Good luck and
Craft Your Own Way!

Tanya

Tanya Ruffin,com

Create Studios Baton Rouge, LA



Comments

Popular Posts